Monday, October 27, 2008

It's Hard To Let Go


I don't know about other flower gardeners, but
I always have a hard time letting go of the growing season
and the end of my flowers blooming.
I love the Fall colors and the bright blue skies but I
always get sad this time of year.I am just not a Winter person.

I like to be able to just jump into my shoes and head outside.
I miss the peaceful feelings I g
et when wandering around
working in my flowers or setting out in the fresh air
looking at them.
I miss the sounds of the birds singing in the morning
and the smell of Lilacs,
Roses or Phlox.





When Frost appeared I set some of the flower containers
in the basement and others out on the porch where I
was able to still see some of them.
With threat of 30 degree mornings and snow flurries
this week, even these were brought into the basement
where hopefully the Geraniums will survive over Winter.





The last blooms on my Crimson Bouquet Roses
had to also be said goodbye to.
But these I cut and brought in to dry, so at least I
will have there deep red color and wonderful fragrance
to put in an arrangement to brighten the cloudy,
cold days this Winter.
The Crimson Bouquet Rose just cannot be beat for
its fragrance. When it is dried it is twice as fragrant.




But we must have our seasons and with the coming of
Winter makes the coming of Spring even closer at hand
when the flowers shall bloom again.


Happy Halloween !!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are kindred spirits then. It makes me so sad to say goodbye to my flowers each fall. And I really hate winter. When I get home from my trip, I'm sure my flowers will all be gone. What a pity.

Susan Tomlinson said...

I found your blog! Such lovely photos!

I don't mind saying goodbye to the growing season--not too much, anyway. There are so many things I can do in the winter season--it is when I move my labors into the woodworking shop. I love the ticking sound the heater makes there, and the smell of the wood, and listening to NPR while I work, and afternoon light through the windows...

The garden waits outside for me. I know it's there, and will be there in the spring, too.

clown princess said...

I just wanted to stop by and say hello to a fellow Ohioan as well as say thank you for linking to my blog. Your blog is beautiful in word and photo. I do enjoy my visits here!

Chandramouli S said...

God am I glad that we don't have snow here! Neither can I bear my plants stops flowering, dying down and succumbing to the frost!

Unknown said...

So true! I sure wish I had known how some things grew more strong when they were dried. I suppose now that my sniffer is working better I should go see what I can scrounge up out in my garden to scent my soap with.

spookydragonfly said...

Beautiful photos, Lona. I feel the same as you at this time of year.