Friday, September 11, 2009

Wildflowers - A Tour in the Hocking Hill's




Greenheaded Coneflower

Last Friday was such a beautiful day that I decided to
take a walk in one of our local State Parks in the Hocking
Hill's where I live. With camera in hand I ventured up into
Conkle's Hollow. The fields around the entry to the
hollow was alive with wildflowers and bees.



I had been worried about the lack of Honeybees
in my garden this summer but they were thankfully
in abundance on the wildflowers growing there.




Ox Eyed Sunflower






Iron Weed






Jewel Weed



Woodland Sunflowers



The Woodland Sunflowers hanging over the Big Pine
Creek which flows through the hollow looked so pretty.




Joe Pye Weed






The whole bank along this section of Big Pine Creek was
full of Joe Pye Weed.




Bushy Asters



The Bushy Asters were in abundance near the creek.







The name of this one has completely slipped my mind
at the moment. Forgive me of having a Duh moment.






Great Lobelia







Hillsides of woodland ferns are everywhere up in the
shady areas of the hollow.Growing on logs, rocks, and
in crevices of the cliffs that line the hollow to the waterfalls.



And of course the fields full of Yellow rod show in the previous
posting.



These are just a few of the wildflowers that grow and
bloom in my neighborhood at this time of the season.
With the changing of the leaves the Hocking Hill's
will become a riot of colors. The view from the ridge
rim path from Conkle's Hollow then is breathtaking.





12 comments:

Helen said...

All of them are beautiful. I am glad that you are seeing some bees. I haven't even seen any kind of bee or wasp on my hummer feeders this year which is very unusual. Helen

Charlotte Weychan said...

Lovely shots today - thank you!

Darla said...

What a nice area to walk...we all have duh moments!!

Barbarapc said...

Thanks for the wonderful walk. It was great to see so many lovely natives that are common to our woodlands too. Terrific shots.

Heather said...

Yay for Conkle's Hollow! The weather has been good for getting out to places such as the Hocking Hills parks. I haven't braved the rim trail yet, though... Maybe once the leaves start to turn... that will be a good excuse to get up there and see the beautiful colors for miles around! Have a good weekend!

lynn'sgarden said...

Lona, I love the dapled shade of woodlands...so peaceful. Lots of wildflowers to enjoy too!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a pretty place for a walk. I love all of the wildflowers.

Muhammad khabbab said...

beautiful flowers. i specially liked the sunflowers because the ones you showed are not common here. asters are looking awesome too. thanks for sharing.

Joe Todd said...

Love the ferns in the woods. We have a long time to wait for the mayapples to come up again.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

It was interesting to see a Joe Pie weed in the natural setting. Somehow, it got very popular lately. I can see what pages people who came to my blog were searching, and there are several of them every day who was looking for JPW information.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Thanks for sharing your outing with us. I love wildflowers. I think the ironweed may be my favorite of these.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, lovely Conkle's Hollow. We have a busy fall ahead of us this year, so I hope we find time to visit it. I find that the marigold smell doesn't bother me if I don't rustle the foliage and just leave them alone. They are just planted to keep pests from the garden, but it doesn't seem to work! Thanks for explaining about the lone tree and the cattle. I also picture the farm workers once resting under the tree.