Monday, February 14, 2011

The Color Meanings of Roses

 

Well I do not have a honey but it is Valentines Day and I am a sentimental sap so I had to show off some flowers for the occasion.
Different colors of roses are thought to hold different meanings for consideration when they are given to someone.
To me they are all beautiful and who cares what they mean
but others may take the colors to heart so let us begin.

AlmostBlackRain_Perfection

Red roses are the traditional symbol for love and romance, and a time-honored way to say "I love you." The red rose has long symbolized beauty and perfection.

Velvet_Perfection

 Gertrude_Jeckyll_Finale2

The pink rose is often given as an expression of admiration. Pink roses can also convey appreciation as well as joyfulness.
And as a symbol of grace and elegance.

 NewDawn3_June12

 

Iceberg2_October29 
White roses represent innocence and purity and are traditionally associated with marriages and new beginnings. The white rose is also a symbol of honor and reverence, and white rose arrangements are often used as an expression of remembrance.

Iceberg_Last4

SunnyKnockout_Rose

The bright, sunny color of yellow roses evokes a feeling of warmth and happiness. The warm feelings associated with the yellow rose are often akin to those shared with a true friend.

Irish_Gold_Rose 

Rose_LavenderSimplicity 

Lavender roses are a perfect symbol of enchantment. The lavender rose is also traditionally used to express feelings
of love at first sight.

Rose_LavenderSimplicity2_June28 

EasyDoesIt2_June22

Orange roses are the embodiment of desire and enthusiasm. Orange roses often symbolize passion and excitement and are an expression of fervent romance.

Rose_EasyDoesIt_June19

 Rose_Senimental2

  So are you getting mixed signals if the roses are
Red and White?

Rose_BellaRoma_BudJuly18

Or maybe Pink and Yellow?

So do not get hung up on their meanings too much
and just enjoy and be thankful for the flowers.

I hope you all get roses  this Valentines Day.


MaxineValentine

And plenty of Chocolate too!!!!

Until Next Time,
Lona

25 comments:

Darla said...

Very nice....Happy Valentine's Day Lona....did you get the seeds?

D said...

Lona, the roses are beautiful and your photos stunning! I'll go for that little bit of dark chocolate please. Have yourself a lovey sorta day!

Becca's Dirt said...

Girl I've bought several of those boxes of Russell Stover in the pretty heart boxes this year and they all were for ME. Bought my own valentine candy and enjoyed every calorie. On the love side of things I don't really have one...Ought to buy me some roses too but what color... I'd say yellow. Which one would you buy yourself?

Jane Doe said...

Here, here! I agree with Maxine! Love the rose photos.

Unknown said...

What a great post Lona and so appropriate for today. Are all of these from your gardens? They are just beautiful and so perfect! I love the ones with water drops on them.

Kate @ Gardening and Gardens said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you Lona! This is a great post about the meanings of roses. I had forgotten so many of them! I'm sure there was a time when everything a man did to court a woman had a meaning behind it - the type of flower he gave, the food he had prepared, the color shirt he wore, etc. I have a book about the meanings of flowers that I haven't looked at in years - you have inspired me to go find it now ;)

Gatsbys Gardens said...

They are all beautiful Lona no matter what the color!

Eileen

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I agree on what color rose means what...they are all beautiful to me too! I didn't get roses but I did get some beautiful pink tulips! Another one of my favorites! ~Hugs, Patti

HolleyGarden said...

Pretty pictures and it was fun learning the meaning of the color symbolism. You have a very pretty blog.

A Garden of Threads said...

Hi Lona, Great post. I just love roses, any colour will do, oh and chocolate of course. But I like mine dark chocolate. Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the rose tour, I have a honey, but no flowers received. I did like your flower meanings, I am always interested in what it means to give and also the virtues that flowers represent.

Stephanie said...

Yes don't forget the chocolate... love them :-D I think all colours are lovely irregardless of the meaning. I love the last one, a little yellow, a little cream and a little pink... sweet! Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Fabulous post Lona!! Happy Valentines Day to you. I don't follow the rose colour/meaning too closely, they're all so beautiful. I like to go against tradition sometimes. :)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

LOL. I enjoy the mixed signal colours of roses you mentioned. That would not be easy to decipher the mixed feelings involved;-).

Barbara said...

I didn't know any of that except for the meaning of red, of course. Lovely photos.

The Redneck Rosarian said...

The Victorian's really took these colors to heart. Even wrote a book about it: "The Language of Flowers". Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday. I do use epson salts on my roses to encourage new canes in the spring and mix with my alfalfa tea fertilizer twice a year. I do not use coffee grounds, although many do with good results... Blessings to you!

One said...

Thanks for putting the meaning together. I always have some vague idea but not sure. The last one is unique!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, Lona. I love roses and can't wait for spring.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lona, Hope you had a great Valentine's Day. It was interesting to read about the color meaning of roses. I really like your shot of the lavender roses. They look antique and very romantic.

sweetbay said...

Ha ha, I think Valentine's Day is really about chocolate too! Your roses are just beautiful.

Bonnie said...

What a great post! I love it.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Super primer for the language of the roses, with lovely photos (as always), hope you got some chocolate!! I am partial to Leonides chocolate (pure Belgium heaven)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Lona girl I just got here now and had a great laugh : ) I was so involved with reading about the meaning of the colour (I love white roses and I don't think my husband still knows THAT! haha) and then I saw the old gal , can't remember her name .. and it made me laugh about lets jump to the chocolate ALREADY !! hahaha
Good one !!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

All of the roses are so pretty! Pink roses are my favorite, but lately I've been really drawn to the apricot ones.

IlonaGarden said...

Thank you for the Valentine roses ♥