Thursday, February 9, 2012

A New Touch of Winter

 

We finally got a touch of winter Wednesday. I guess it was wishful thinking that the cold and snow would not touch us this mild winter. We have been so fortunate thus far that there are no complaints from this house.

Field_Snow_Feb8 
We received a beautiful two inches or more of snow here in the hills.

Woods_Snow_Feb8
And it was a lovely change from all of the rain we have had throughout the winter.

Rhododendron_Snow_Feb8

It was that wet snow that clings to everything making the world look white and new.

Pump_Snow_Feb8 
And it was just enough that it did not cause problems for those traveling the roads.

Fence_Snow_Feb8
It made for a good day to start sowing some seeds indoors too.

Wintersow

Petunia’s:
Wave Coral Reef
Avalanche Tropical Red
White Wave
Can Can Burgundy
Pin Stripe Black
I saved seeds from the Pinstripe petunias from last year.I wonder if they will stay true or come out all different from the parents?
We will see.

Pelargonium Geraniums:
Black Velvet Salmon
Bullseye Cherry
Scarlet Star
Maverick Star

Gerbera Mix
Pentas White New Look
Pansy Mix. Thank you Becca!

I still have many yet to sow but I at least got a start on them.

I also got in an order for two new roses for the rose garden from Edmunds Roses before they were all taken.
Rose_Mustard_Ketchup_Floribunda
Mustard & Ketchup Floribunda Rose
This one is so unique looking with its contrasting colors.
I hope it lives up to the pictures of it.
 
Rose_Music_Box_Shrub
Music Box Shrub Rose
And the Music Box I saw on a blog and was told it has a sweet fragrance. Liked the color combinations on this beauty.

A Clematis was also ordered from Brushwood Nursery.

clematis_little_mermaid
Little Mermaid Clematis

So I am planting, planning and getting orders made for the summer garden.
Are you planning any new additions for your garden this summer?
Happy Gardening,
Lona

 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's just started snowing here. You have been busy with your seeds.

Sunray Gardens said...

Good luck on your seed growing this winter. The new Roses are gorgeous. I would be so anxious to see those blooms in person and look forward to photos from your garden. I would love to have those first two especially.

We've not had anything but dusting snow so far, but they are saying early morning we are getting some. We'll see. For sure a very strange year so far.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Anonymous said...

how I love the photograph of the fence in snow! .... we here in Central Florida have a cold snap in the forecast, it will drop to a chilling 41F in the early morning hours from Sunday to Monday. oh the horror! ;-)

HolleyGarden said...

Glad you got some beautiful snow, and just the right amount to not cause any problems. Love the Music Box rose. So sweet looking. Good luck with your seeds!

unrosetoinviacerreto said...

Qui in Italia c'è moltissima neve e quando guardo il mio giardino vedo solo danni.
Chissà quali piante ritroverò in primavera!
Ciao
Loretta

Debra said...

Hello Lona ~ what a nice post. I am with you; I could handle a winter such as this one every year. We have not had more than 3-4 inches of snow at a time all season, and it has only snowed here 3 times or so.

I love the photo of your pump - is it green? I have one that looks just like yours and l.o.v.e. it!

~Debra, Gardens Inspired

Lona said...

I got a start Sue.Hope you do not get too much of that white stuff.

Lona said...

Loretta, Mi dispiace sentir parlare del danno neve. Grazie per aver visitato.

Lona said...

Hi Cher. I will be especially anxious to see the Mustard & Ketchup bloom to see if it looks like the pictures. One never knows anymore. Guess we are getting the freeze starting today. Stay safe.

Lona said...

I heard the deep freeze is going down even into Florida. Hope it does not do any damage your way.

Lona said...

Seeds are always iffy around here. Sometimes they do good for me and other times... not so much. Was the Music Box Rose on your posting or Jennifer's? I saw it on someones blog. LOL! If I only had a memory.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

The new roses you have added are lovely. Think I like 'Music Box' best..or maybe 'Little Mermaid' or-- hahaha just beautiful!
My new additions this year are in the rhododendron/azalea family. Filling some areas of the woods.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

oops... 'Mermaid' is the Clematis. Like the name, guess that is what stuck.

Joe Todd said...

Hi Lona, More snow on it's way LOL.. The one photo on my blog was shelter for feral cats.An organiztion in Newark takes care of the cats.. I see you are getting ready for spring.. Good for you

Lona said...

The pump is black. Hard to see on a cloudy day. We may get a little more snow today but not too bad so far this winter.

Lona said...

I saw all of the azaleas that you are adding. Your woods is going to be so beautiful in the springs.

Lona said...

For feral cats! Well I would have never guess what it was then. LOL!

Anonymous said...

The snow looks so pure....great start on your Spring!!

Donna@GWGT said...

Lona, we too are getting a couple of inches of snow today after are Spring-like January. I love when it is a fluffy snow like you go, everything looks, clean, fresh and wonderful. Your images are beautiful, especially the snow on the fence, picture perfect.

Gardening Under The Influence said...

No snow for us in NC foothills, but tomorrow and the day after will have a high of 34. Brrrr.

Karen said...

Snow here, too, Lona! My, you have all those seeds started already and I haven't even given it a thought yet. That Mustard and Ketchup rose looks so delightful, I'll be watching your experience with it. I'm not real good with roses. Actually, the things that do the best in our garden are the rocks, LOL.

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Lona, Snow outside; seed-sowing inside. Sounds perfect to me! We have a very light, but pretty snow today. Your fence pic. is stunning! P. x

Alistair said...

Lona, that mustard and ketchup looks amazing. Love your snowy scenes, still hasn't arrived in Aberdeen this year, so far that is.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Looks like you're having fun with the seeds! I started some earlier this week and am getting ready to start some more soon. It's so fun watching for those sprouts. The snow looks so pretty! I wonder if we'll get anymore here? Mostly rain is predicted for the next week.