Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday in the Garden

 

I hope everyone has had a wonderful week.
Here in the garden there is not much to report.

Anemone_MargaretteMargarette Japanese Anemone 

The other anemones in the garden are slower to bloom this year.
We have had some very cool mornings here in the Hocking Hills. In some parts of the state they had our first frost of the year.

EasyDoesIt_Sept13 Easy Does It  Floribunda Roses

The roses sometimes take on a new tinge of color as the nights get cooler. Easy Does IT roses get a more pinkish tinge to them.

EasyDoesIt_Closeup

 

Iceberg_Rose_Sept13 Iceberg Floribunda Roses

The white buds of the Iceberg roses get a pink tinge to them also with the cooler nights.

Red_Knockout2_Sept13

The Red Radrazz Knockout Roses are still blooming away in the garden. I know some Rose gardeners do not care for the Knockout roses but I love them for the constant blooms and color in the garden every year.

Red_Knockout_Sept13

The Sweet Autumn Clematis vines is still full of tiny white blooms and I love the hint of fragrance they spread across the lawn on the breezes.

Cleamtis_Sweet_Autumn2

A disappointment in the seed planting this year was the Scabosia Zinnia’s.

zinnia_scabiosa_flowered_mix_2 
{What they were suppose to looks like}

Sad to say mine looks like just any other ordinary zinnia.

Zinnia_Yellow

A very invasive plant that I have noticed growing in a lot of the fields locally is this Datura stramonium Jimson Weed or Loco Weed. It was also used once as a herbal medicine to relieve the symptoms of asthma and as an analgesic for surgery or bone setting. It is also a powerful hallucinogen  and used in higher amounts can cause death.

It does have lovely blooms on it which I appreciate this late in the season but to the farmers it is just a  nuisance of a weed.

Jimson_Weed

A Woodland Fern which had came up as a volunteer in a birdbath planter was transplanted into the Fairy Garden.

FairyGarden The garden is getting bare in some of the beds now. This is when I get to taking notes of  what plants maybe needed for more color for next years garden so that there will be more color in late summer and fall. 
Are you taking notes too about  what you may want to add for next year?

Happy Gardening,
Lona

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Frost already? I really haven't a clue what's happening in my gardens. I have a feeling there are a lot of weeds that have reseeded that I'm not going to be happy about. I love how you always include what has worked and what has not. Strange about the scabosia....

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Lona ~ Your cooler weather sounds wonderful. Your roses are beautiful, especially Easy Does It. All of your blooms are lovely.

Enjoy your autumn weather.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

The Redneck Rosarian said...

Love your photos of "Easy Does It". Everyone raves about it. I do not grow it, YET! Happy Friday!

RURAL said...

I am taking lots of pictures, and lots of notes...not sure if we should move plants now, or wait for spring. Winters are pretty hard here.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Karen said...

Hi Lona, i love your garden you do have a lot of roses and i really like the fairy garden it's so sweet. I recently planted a rose called Scentimental in my garden, it looks much the same as yours it has a beautiful fragrance. Have a nice day.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Lona,
I love your anemone and the first rose you showed. My mother-in-law liked growing what we call moon flowers, so I grow some too. They are a datura, and the leaves are a little different, but it does seed itself pretty aggressively, and is somehow related to your jimsonweed. They do stay pulled, though, and this year, I only let one grow.

Yes, I have some ideas and sort of plans for changes for some of the beds for next year.

elaine said...

Nice to see you have a few roses still blooming - some of mine are enjoying a second-flush of flowers. Alas, the garden is starting to look a bit bare - plans are afoot for next year

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Lona girl ! I am sorry I haven't been here lately , or anywhere else to tell the truth .. just too much going on in my head right now. I'm even totally out of touch with my garden even though I have the chores I have to get done written down .. today is a very windy rainy day so I am off the hook for a while ? haha
Your rose pictures are the best girl .. they are absolutely stunning.
You have a lot going on even with the wind down!
Have a great weekend .. rest up!!
Joy : )

Kukkaiselämää said...

So many beautiful roses and I like those zinnias too. I don't have any zinnias in my garden - unfortunately. Have a nice weekend!

Masha said...

Your roses look lovely, I am enjoying brighter colors on mine too. It is always fun to shop for more plants, I hope you find some more that give you good late summer color.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Hard to believe it is now fall. I am hoping to sleep with the windows open ...last night was too humid.
You sure give a person the desire to grow some of those gorgeous roses. My Knockouts are really tiny...they keep getting eaten by the deer.

Andrea said...

Hi Lona, i love your shots and the depth of field, I just acquired a macro lens and I am still experimenting to get the same!

Jennifer said...

Hi Lona, I absolutely take notes! Other garden bloggers are hugely influential. Whenever I see a plant I like I copy and paste the name into a file along with a note on the blog where I first saw it mentioned. Your roses are looking terrific BTW. One doesn't tend to think of roses as an option for fall color, but I find them indispensable.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Your roses are lovely this year. I am afraid mine took a beating with the beetles, then mold and now midges. I have to rethink how much garden space I have given them with not much in return. I love roses so I will be said if I have to give them up.

Eileen

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Hope the little fairies can take the cooler weather.
Your roses are pretty. Enjoy!

Balisha said...

We had a frosty deck here in Illinois this morning. That Easy Does It is so pretty.Have a nice Sunday.
Balisha

Victoria Williams said...

Love the color of that Easy Does It rose.
I should be taking notes on the garden needs but I'm tired. We need rain.
That datura looks similar to one we grow but so far I've never heard of it being a nuisance here.

Wally said...

Oh, that Easy Does It rose, so beautiful!

Nadezda said...

I love these Japanese anemones! How do you store them in winter? Or do you stay them in a soil?

Anonymous said...

I'm taking notes too Lona!! I can't believe your state has already had frost! Thought we would beat you to that but it's usually mid Oct before that happens here. I thought I would be ready but these cooler days have re-energized me & now I'm not ready to let go yet!