Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Blessing


I see that some of you have almost stopped blogging.
 I understand with so much going on these days and so
 many other avenues to stay in touch that is around now.

I lost my Mom in October after years of this awful slow progressing
disease called "Alzheimer ".
Really we had lost her some years ago because she no longer knew
who we were. We had taken her to Tennessee to visit some relatives. She had
a couple of good days while we were there that she recognized a couple of them.
Which was a blessing for all of us and her.


Mom had taken care of her parents in their home when they were
passing so I wanted to do the same for her. She died her at my home
 on Sunday the 16th of October with her grandchildren and me at her side.
Little did we know that our dear friend Billy, here with her in the picture,
would pass away just one week on Sunday after Mom.

I was so very glad that we took her to Tennessee and it was almost
fate that we were suppose to go because of their loss from our family.
But I have  peace in my heart that they had a nice reunion together
and a good hug and laugh. I am sure Dad and her parents and family was
there also to greet her .


After we got back home she just started going down hill fast. I am so
thankful for our local Hospice that helped us to take care of her here
 at the house. It was not easy, but now I have peace in my heart that we
 did all we could do to make her journey easier. And now I feel like a
great load has been taken from my shoulders and I can breathe again.
The worry is all gone but the heart will ache for years to come.

The children and I had our Christmas dinner here on this Christmas day
And there was that void and I know we were all thinking about Mom not
being here with us but kept it to ourselves.


From the garden of my heart I wish all of you who have known me through
 out the years a
"Very Wonderful Christmas season and a Blessed New Year ahead.

Love to you all,
Lona
And Oh yeah, Happy Gardening.




8 comments:

Karen said...

Lona, I am so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. I wish I could write something more eloquent, but there are no words to express my feelings for you. You took wonderful care of her; I know how difficult it must have been. I will need to contact you at some point soon about your experiences with hospice as it looks as if we are headed in the same direction with my husband's parents, both at the same time; and I am truly overwhelmed.

I'm sitting here tonight with a half-decorated Christmas tree, minimal holiday baking, an incredibly messy house, no presents wrapped and an overwhelming desire to cry; how's that for a Bah Humbug? We are celebrating Christmas here tomorrow with my sons and Mom IF I get my act together. Bless you, Lona! Merry Christmas!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Lona ~ I am sorry for the loss of your mother recently.

I pray that 2017 will be a great year for you. Have missed seeing you posting about your wonderful bloomers.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

(Hug)
Sounds like you've had a sad and at times sweet autumn. Nice to have those special memories of your mom on that trip. Bless you all. Just keep loving every chance you get.
May you have a happy and healthy new year. Start planning that garden!

RobinL said...

A beautiful tribute to your dear mother Lona, I'm so sorry. Yes, blogging has faded a bit, but I still carry on, as it is my way of journaling my garden. I like to compare over time, and this makes it easier for me. Hope to see you back here again from time to time.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Lona girl ... I am so sorry for you with the drawn out loss of your mom.
It is a terrible disease, more so for the care takers than the patient.
I hope that this year is a much better one for you and that your grieving will gently ebb with time.
I haven't been blogging .. just not up to it but once the gardening or plant bug bites, I hope to get into it again. I hope you will too : )
Take care dear heart ... you did your best for your mom and where ever she is I am sure she is grateful !
All the best I can wish for you : )
Joy

Nadezda said...

Dear Lona, I'm very very sorry your loss. I understand how you loved your mom and tried to care her well.
Hope you will do your blog this year, I always liked reading it.
I wish you peaceful new year, gladness in your garden.

Karen said...

Lona, I think of you so often, I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. I'm sending you a hug and love from Wisconsin.

Diana Studer said...

(I have almost 200 blog posts lined up in Feedly and am spending more time on FB - but I am surprised to see no comments here.)

My sympathy on your loss. I can remember the last weeks of my mother's life. A little confused, but we were not dealing with Alzheimer's. That burden I can't imagine.