Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Leaves Are Falling Fast

 

Hi everyone!
I spent all day yesterday raking and chopping up leaves with the lawn mower. We had rain last night and today you cannot tell that I even worked in the yard. Leaves are everywhere. LOL!
They are falling so fast this year that the colors are not going to last very long here in the hills.

 Fall_Red2011
This Sugar Maple tree at the corner of the house was so pretty dressed in red. They look better on the tree than on the ground.

Fall_Field_2011
The trees across the road in the field are pretty dressed in yellows, oranges and red.

Mums_Teapot Here are some more of the Chrysanthemums that are blooming in the garden now.

Chrysanthemum_Red2

This Orange one was grown from seeds.Crysanthemum_Golden2

Even the Campanula Blue Chips are taking on a pretty Fall color in their leaves.

Campanula_Fall

The Cleome plants are still blooming but it will not be long now until the frost gets them.

Cleome_Oct11

The buds on the “Easy Does It” roses are a bright orange now with the cooler weather.EasyDoesIt_Bud_Oct11

Echinacea Raspberry Truffle is getting some new buds.
Looks like the spiders have been hanging out amongst them.
Echinacea_RT_Oct11

The “Burgundy Iceberg” rose  has given me a couple of new blooms before cold weather takes them.B_Iceberg_Oct11

The Redskin Dahlias grown from seed has put on this yellow bloom with touches of pink mixed in.RedSkinned_DahliaYellow

The blooms on the native Snakeroot in the woods are starting to dry out now and finish their blooming.Snakeroot_Wild_Oct11

A few plants came in the mail yesterday which amongst them were a Green Envy coneflower and some Blue Cardinal flowers.
I still have some lilies yet to come in the mail. I wish they would hurry up and get here so I could wrap up the Fall planting.Chrysanthemum_Amythest

Those old pesky deer ate off my Bronze Sweet Potato vines the other night. I guess that makes it easier for me to take cuttings from them. I will not have to trim the leaves off first.LOL!

 Happy_Autumn   The daughter and I have two festivals we are going to attend Friday and Saturday. We are hoping the weather holds and the rain stays away so we can enjoy them.
I hope everyone has a wonderful week!
Happy Gardening,
Lona

24 comments:

Giga said...

Masz rację te kolorowe liście mogły zostać na drzewach, ładnie by wyglądało i nie trzeba by ich grabić :-). Pięknie jeszcze w Twoim ogrodzie. Pozdrawiam

Barbarapc said...

Lona, it's all looking so lovely. Such a shame that those brilliant leaves won't stay up in the trees and then all let go on one day. We've done our first of many rakes, and as you say from one day to the next - it's hard to see that you've been busy the day before!

Liz said...

Hi Lona,

Beautiful colours, we've also had some very wet weather recently but I'm hoping it will improve soon so I can get on with gardening jobs - mainly planting so they can get settled before the cold arrives.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

The beautiful autumn colours are glorious in your post today. I like how you get the flowers so perfectly focused with a shallow background. V

Becca's Dirt said...

I'm gonna come up there and steal that cute little tea pot. It is the cutest thing. Pretty mums. Love the fall colors. stunning roses.

Patsy said...

Oh! the trees are lovely and so are your mums.

Serenity Cove said...

I can't believe how fast the leaves changed this year. Last week it seemed they were still green and this week they are at peak and the rain is bringing them down fast!! I wanted to drive around and get some pictures but have not had the time.
Love that yellow echinacea in your last post!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Fall color in those trees! You are still enjoying a lot of pretty bloom Lona..

myomyohi said...

You still have lots of pretty flowers. Most of my perennials are gone, and things are looking very dreary around here. I have leaves and pine needles everywhere today. I had to skim the fish pond so I could feed Uno, our lone goldfish. Enjoy your festivals!

HolleyGarden said...

The colors of the trees are spectacular! So vibrant! We rarely get color like that here. It is beautiful.

GRACE PETERSON said...

"The trees across the road" are fabulous. The photo looks like it belongs in a frame! Love the teapot and mums too. So much beauty this time of year.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Lona,

Isn't fall a great time when you stop to notice it! Your mums are lovely as are the leaf color in your garden. I can barely see my grass now because of the leaves. It seems like it happened overnight.

Eileen

Debby said...

I really like your new banner.
All of your pictures are just beautiful.

A Garden of Threads said...

You have wonderful fall colour in your garden, Lona. It is raining here, a welcome sight.

Anonymous said...

I was at a specialty nursery tonight that had a pretty snakeroot. That is a plant I could learn to love, native or commercial.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Lona. So good to find an Ohio blogger! We live in Powell, just north of Columbus and the zoo. Just had to comment on your absolutely beautiful photography. I'll be following you!

Egretta Wells blog said...

Hi Lona, what gorgeous photos! I love the beautiful Fall leaves....we don't have those here in S. Florida. Your mums are so pretty, too. A nice post! Egretta

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I just adore your beautiful fall colors. Yep, their fallin' like rain. I swept the deck three times today and it's covered again!

Your flowers are gorgeous sweetie!

God bless and have a splendid day! :o)

Amy said...

Hi Lona ~ Looks like you are having a beautiful fall! Our leaves are turning brown, but I'm not sure it is due to the changing of the seasons..:/

Anonymous said...

The colors you captured are a true image of autumn. As much as I like the colors and tones, I am always a bit sad to see the growing season come to a close. Lovely post!

Cat said...

Oh my, your blog is a feast for these drought weary eyes! Beautiful fall colors and textures. Thanks for the eye candy!

Karen said...

Lona, fall just comes and goes too fast around here, too. I wish the height of the season would last at least a month, but nope. Your flowers and gardens look so lovely yet. I haven't done a thing with mine since I'm too busy mortaring and whackering rocks. And then tomorrow, a dreaded doctor appointment...grrrrrr.

Hocking Hills is the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Cathy and Steve said...

I would love fall so much more if it only came after winter (and before spring) instead of before the snow flies....

Victoria Williams said...

As sad as I always am to say goodbye to the garden, fall provides such a lovely farewell, doesn't it?