Friday, November 20, 2015

Getting Ready for Winter




Hello again.

If you are from the north  I  know you all have been getting ready for winter.

I hate to see it come but there is no stopping it unless I move way down
 south. Maybe become one of those Florida " Winter  Birds. :)


The wild flowers are finished now and I have been trying to get out and
clean up some more of the flower beds for the freezes.




I have been raking leaves like the rest of you, but leaving a few to keep
 the heaving of soil in some of the beds.
Also trimming down some of the dead flowers  in beds.
In the woodland bed the flowers will stay for the birds to enjoy.



A few berries are around for them to eat this winter.





The Coleus got frozen and wilted with the cold frost and freeze we had
a couple of weeks ago. Then it warmed back up for some beautiful 

autumn days. It has my flowers all mixed up. The Brunnera is growing
 just like it is spring again and some of spring bulbs  are trying
to peek out of the mulch.





With cold weather coming this weekend I tried to get more of the raking
 done this morning for one last time.
Along with getting those tulip bulbs planted that I have been putting off.
I cannot complain because we have had lovely fall weather compared to
 last year on this date we had almost two inches of snow on the ground.

Pinocchio Greigii


These are some of the tulips I planted. I know they will be so welcome after
 winter when we all are longing for color and blooms.




Fringed Lingerie

I planted these two together and I am hoping they will
complement each other and not clash. The pictures always
look so beautiful but may not be true when they bloom.





Cool Crystal

I saw pictures on the news this evening that
snow is falling upon some of you.

With all of the sorrow that is touching the world now
 it seems selfish to ask for your prayers but I lost my dearest
friend Charlotte last week. I know she is alright and home
where she belongs with her husband and Jesus but
Oh, I am and will miss her so.


I also want to wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving.
 And if you are traveling I pray for your safe journeys.

Get those bulbs planted everyone!!

Happy Gardening,
Lona







11 comments:

Patsy said...

Well flowers so lovely are over --so sad to see then go.
But oh when spring comes and the snow melts ,what great flowers will come back. Your gardens are beautiful.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I put in some bulbs similar to your frilly red and white ones.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Lona ~ You always have beautiful blooms to show us from your lovely gardens. No snow down here in s.e. FL. It is still very warm, overly so and humid.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Knowing she is with Jesus and her husband is good for her, but you can't help but miss her. May you feel God's love and peace with you at this time.

Have a lovely and joyous Thanksgiving ~ FlowerLady

RobinL said...

It has been a lovely fall, but it appears to be over know with a few hard freezes under our belt. Hubby had to plant all my tulip bulbs this year, because I'm recovering from getting a new knee. I had hoped they'd arrive before the surgery, but nooooo. Can't wait to see the pictures of your tulips when they really do bloom at your house. Mine too!

Karen said...

Lona, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, Charlotte. I know how much that hurts. We want our loved ones to be free of pain, but there is a great sadness in the void they leave behind. I lost a dear friend a few years back and think of her every day; hugs to you on your loss, too.

I'm really surprised that I didn't buy any bulbs this year. I don't know why, but we procrastinated so long in putting four trees in the ground (as in last night at dark) that I guess it's just as well I didn't buy any. I know I have some Naked Ladies aka lycoris squamigera to replant that I dug up when we planted the trees, so I guess they will have to be it for this year. Your tulips will be gorgeous in the spring. We have no snow here yet, but supposedly will by morning; over an inch of rain so far which would have made snowbanks if it was colder. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs, Karen
'

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Lona I am also so sorry for the loss of your friend Charlotte.
It seems as we age this happens more frequently and we hardly have the time to accept and recover in some small way.
I find such solace and peace from my garden when I am dealing with sorrow .. it takes my mind from such a sad place to a happier one.
I know we can't do that right now but we can plan next year's garden and think of that for a while.
Take care of yourself Lona .. your garden will wake up next Spring and look amazing !
Joy : )

Anonymous said...

Hi Lona! Hope you have all your Fall chores done by now?? It's almost Christmas but whenever the snow melts, I still have raking to do! Isn't that crazy?? My Oak tree leaves hung on for the longest time this fall, it's the latest I remember. I also love your tulip bulb choices. Those are going to be beautiful. I finally cracked and bought a mixed bag to plant in my raised bed but otherwise I wasn't going to bother because I have so many voles. They've been eating everything out there. Hope I can find a way to get rid of them. I have so many plants to replace....

Anyway, I just wanted to check with you. I got a friend request on FB from you but I thought we already were friends?? Is that spam or is it really you?? Thanks. If it's you, of course I'm confirming!
Hope you have a merry Christmas. I'm almost more excited about solstice than Christmas so the days will start getting longer. Take care.

agatek said...

Happy New Year :)

Lona said...

Thanks everyone for the comments. I seem to be spinning these days and cannot get back to blogging. Sometimes things get in the way but I keep thinking I will get back into it. When... who knows. LOL!
Hope you all had some lovely holiday weather and filled with blessings.

Unknown said...

The nice thing about catching up with blogs I enjoy is that reading this retrospective on last year is fun, and now we're that much closer to spring!

Karen said...

Lona, I've been thinking of you. I hope all is well, it's been too long my friend. How did your bulbs turn out this spring?