Saturday, August 2, 2014

WHOA !……. NOW!

 

Okay where did July go to? It is August already! Does anyone else feel like Summer is just going by way to fast? With our crazy polar vortex's coming in the last two weeks it feels like Fall at times. Slow down already! LOL!
Oh well time does keep marching on.
Meanwhile back to gardening and flowers…

Coneflowers Porch2
Stealing the show now in the flower beds are the Coneflowers and Phlox and I have plenty of each spread around in the beds.

Coneflowers Butterfly Garden
I love the coneflowers because the butterflies, hummingbirds and bees love them.

Laura Butterfly
They also love phlox paniculata. I think it is the fragrance of the phlox that attracts them.

Middle Bed Sun July
This is a bed between the house and the garage. On this end of the bed it is sunny so it is a wonderful place to fill the bed with Phlox, coneflowers and lilies.

Angels3
On the other end it is in shade from a large Maple tree so it gets filled with Heuchera, Bleeding Heart, Goats Beard, Astilbe, Anemones, Toad Lilies, Ferns and a few other shade loving plants.

Side Bed July
This is a bed beside the back of the house and it is filled with Echinacea, Daisies, Lilies, so many other plants, and of course more tall phlox.

Smelling the Flowers
Even Aspen loves the fragrance of the tall phlox. Too bad he is such a little thing and cannot get close enough to get a good
whiff of the tall phlox. He is more of a Creeping Phlox kind of doggy. LOL!

Bathroom Bed July
This is another bed on the other back side of the house.
The rain has my Raspberry Truffle Echinacea falling over. Next year this bed should be in its leaping stage. (fingers crossed)
This bed is filled with Lobelia, Bee Balm, Salvia, Helenium, Lilies, Dianthus and of course more tall phlox. Did I mention I loved Coneflowers and Phlox? LOL!
The payoff besides having beautiful blooms from all of them now is the heavenly fragrance coming from these beds. I wish I could bottle it for this winter.

Clear Wing Moth Hummingbird
This Clear Wing Hummingbird Moth is loving the Blue Boy phlox in this  bed.

Phlox Katherine2“Katherine”

Phlox paniculata Bright Eyes 7_31
“Bright Eyes”

Phlox paniculata Davids White 7_31
“David’s White”

Phlox paniculata Becky Towe2
“Becky Towe”

Phlox paniculata Blue Ice
“Blue Ice”

Phlox paniculata Adonis
“Adonis”

Phlox paniculata Miss Ellie2 July
“Miss Ellie”

Phlox Laura
“Laura”

Phlox paniculata Peacoch Cherry Red
“Cherry Red”

Phlox paniculata Blue Boy
“Blue Boy”

Phlox paniculata Franz Schubert Bathroom2
“Franz Schubert”

Phlox paniculata Starfire
“Starfire” & “Cherry Red”

Phlox paniculata Franz Schulbert Bathroom 7_31
There are two more Nora Leigh and Orange Perfection which are just now budding. I love how they are making my beds look this time of the summer and will be adding more throughout the other beds I am sure.

Conflowers Porch
Everyone have a lovely weekend and……….

Happy Gardening,

Lona

14 comments:

Patsy said...

If I were a butterfly I would just stay in your garden. It is lovely this year. You just can't beat Phlox and you have so many colors.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I really need to get some phlox. Saw some in town the other day that was so pretty and yours are amazing.
Those sweet fairies. They just look like they're taking it easy on a summer day.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I didn't realize phlox came in some many wonderful colors. It is always a joy to see the lovelies that are growing in your gardens.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Balisha said...

What an assortment of Phlox you have there. I especially like the Creeping Phlox kinda guy.
Balisha

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Lona
We have a lot of the same flowers in bloom right now. Your beds are so full and beautiful with all the different phlox varieties you have.

When I saw your “Laura” it reminded me that mine seems to be missing this year. Maybe I just have not noticed it yet.

I love the color of your Raspberry Truffle coneflowers!

It's been a great gardening weekend in my yard.

Nadezda said...

Lona, what a lovely collection of phlox! Especially I love the most Katherine phlox.Very nice!Seeing your armchair I can imagine a pleasure to sit there and smell their fragrance.

VW said...

Wow you have a lot of pretty phlox! I just have 'Blue Paradise', but I have seen hummingbird moths on them before. Such a cool creature.

Stephanie said...

The first time I see a phlox, I starred at the blooms for a long long time. They are so pretty. Thank you for planting this beautiful plant. I had really enjoyed watching each photos :-D I tried some seeds to see if I could sprout them and even grow here in hot and humid climate. They didn't sprout so I am still not sure if the plant could be grown here. Anyway, I love how you placed little fairies here and there. They made your lovely garden mystical :-) Btw Lona, the second Malaysian plane crash was devastating!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Lona girl your garden is such a treat ! It looks so pretty but I bet the scents are heavenly. I have just the one phlox "Glamour Girl" because she is supposed to be so mildew resistant .. the reason I avoided phlox.
You have such a pretty selection of different flowers it is butterfly and bee heaven ! haha
Yes .. we are almost mid August now as I write this .. where is this year going???
Joy : )

RobinL said...

My goodness Miss Lona, I didn't even know there WERE so many different phlox! Here I was so proud of myself for the way my four different varieties improved this year! Like you, I am such a big fan of coneflowers. I'd like to have even more than I do. That cold spell was a bummer, but now it's hot again. Got some good rain today, finally.

Serenity Cove said...

Wow....so many varieties of phlox! Lovely!!
And yes, the summer is just flying by. It really hasn't seemed like summer. Not looking forward to going through another winter!

Pippi21 said...

Lona,
I have several garden phlox that were pass-along plants and the friend that gave them to me didn't know the name of their variety either..I have two plants that I need to transplant this fall to another flowerbed where they will grow better. How long did it take yours to grow that tall? Mine don't seem to grow over 2 ft. Is that normal? Boy, my coneflowers grew tall this year but their color was not what I expected them to be. Did weather play a part in that? This time of the year, I'm getting tired as the flowers are..I need to do some thinking about better color combinations for next year.

Pippi21 said...

Last year our coneflowers were loaded with large butterflies. This year I've seen only one but lots of small ones. Maybe next year, those small ones will be large and come back to my flowers.

Lona said...

Pippi: They rang in different heights. Some of the phlox and coneflowers are 3 years old and some older. This has been a good year for them here so they are really spreading now and looking good. Last year they were terrible so the weather does factor in. Glad you dropped by.